Elizabeth Weintraub says those days may be fast approaching.
When is the best time of the year to buy a home? There are at least two days of the year that give buyers the edge. Would you like to guess which two days are best for buying a home?
The best day of the year to buy a home is Christmas Day.
Almost nobody looks at homes on Christmas Day. But buying on Christmas Day is a smart move. If you scout out the homes on which you'd like to make offers a few days before Christmas, you'll be better positioned.
Why is Christmas Day so attractive?
- People are in good moods, celebrating, opening presents, enjoying family.
- People are more inclined to be generous, even if it means coming down on the price. "Hey, it's Christmas, hon; just sign it."
- Few buyers are out looking at homes during Christmas week, so the chance of multiple offers or any competition whatsoever is very low.
- Home prices are at a 12-month low in December.
- If a person has their home on the market over Christmas, that person is definitely serious about negotiating and selling that home. You can bet on it. Better yet, why not write an offer?
Of course, the key is to find a real estate agent who will a) work on Christmas and b) be aggressive enough to worm her way into the seller's home without batting an eyelash. Those agents are out there.
The second best day? Easter Sunday.